The US National Sleep Foundation published the first guide to the quality of sleep. It lists the main factors that serve as criteria for a healthy full night's rest. In particular, this document contains information about the speed of falling asleep and the sleep duration depending on the age of people.
Signs of healthy sleep quality, according to US clinicians are following options:
- Man asleep for at least 85% of time spent in bed at night;
- Man goes to sleep no later than 30 minutes after laying in bed;
- A man does not wake up more than once per night;
- Waking up in the night, a person can re stress-free sleep within 41 minutes;
- A man has no desire to sleep during the day more than 100 minutes.
These figures, as noted by the therapists are a guide for adults. "Taking into account the individual characteristics may vary up or down - but not more than an hour," - specified the Somnology.
In regard to the total duration of sleep during the day, the doctors have suggested such regulations:
- Sleep newborn (0-3 months) may be 14-17 hours per day; babies from 4 to 11 months - 12-15 hours, children from 1 to 2 years - 11-14 hours;
- Sleep preschoolers 3 to 5 years - 10-13 hours, schoolchildren from 6 to 13 years - 9-11 hours, teenagers from 14 to 16 years - 8-10 hours;
- Sleep of adults 18 to 64 years - 7-9 hours;
- Sleep of older people from 65 years and older - 7-8 hours.
Researchers reminded that sleep problems are associated with an increased risk of various disorders of the body, including very serious. Those who have trouble sleeping, are more common cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, depression and even infertility.
One of the most significant factors of occurrence of insomnia doctors call too close communication with gadgets in the evening - notebooks, tablets and smartphones.